Re: Certification on 9i .

From: Rich Sias <rich_nospam_at_sias.us>
Date: 3 May 2004 00:35:20 GMT

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:34:18 UTC, "Dave" <david.sharples3_at_ntlXworld.com> wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> > Why do I say that? Go to http://www.dice.com, http://www.hotjobs.com,
> > http://www.monster.com and see how many jobs there are for "Oracle"
> > then see how many jobs for "Oracle AND OCP".
> >
> > That said I am a strong believer in education so I think classes
> > are worth a lot ... provided they are not taught by a certificate
> > mill ... meaning a company that doesn't teach you hands-on skills
> > but rather just the correct answers to a paper test.
>
> It may not get you a job on its own - but it could well get you and
> interview and may well be a differntiator between two people

I have seen several messages along these lines. I DO have 9+ years experience with an obscure database. Many of these skills are useful in any database setting. I'm looking to getting a "crash" education so that I can drop in a "5 years" experience slot and not embarass myself to much. I did a little work with Oracle 5 and none since. Alot has changed I am sure since we are now up to 10g. I was just over on the oracle site and found: 1. self - study CDs, 2. certification exams (OCP?) and 3. Online Library of 400 courses.

What do you recommend, 1,2 and/or 3 ? I figure with 9 years and some Oracle mention may get past the HR filter and to the real person to talk to. They will find out undoubtedly that the Oracle is NOT the 9 years but useful nevertheless. I expect the courses to take several weeks to complete because of the volume of coverage. Do either courses offer "hands-on" to experience errors speed differences etc. So one can learn more than just syntax issues?

--
Rich Sias

dba seeking new employment