Question on Upgrading from 7.3.4

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:00:05 +0100

I've just been handed a question, as part of a job interview next week. They want me to give a presentation on the theme of: "Oracle Database 7.3.4...should we upgrade or should we replace?"

I've found a thread in the FAQ from the Oracle-L list in 2002. I'll spend some time following that up. That should cover "should we upgrade" as of that date.

Could anyone throw me a line and give me some points that will help me give them the totally bogus impression that I'm an Oracle guru, or at least that I'm capable of researching the question? I have to confess that the last time I used Oracle it was V5 and I've been working with SQL Server since then.

If you reply by e-mail I'll summarise the results when I get back to the newsgroup early next week. On second thoughts, no. I'll summarise the results when I'm sure that it won't help anyone else who also has to give that presentation. Sorry chaps.

(Anyone else in the UK who wants an IT Manager/DBA at short notice please feel free to contact me. I have a mortgage and poor starving Bank Manager to support.)

--
Bernard Peek