Re: backup / recovery question

From: Chris Leonard <s_p_a_m_chris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:01:52 -0500

Hi Paul,

You may also want to include notes regarding missing password files or the oratab file. These come into play sometimes, especially when cloning or recovering a database to a different server. Also, you'll want to branch on whether or not ARCHIVELOG mode is enabled, and whether the backups are RMAN backups or "regular" backups (not to mention third-party formats such as obacktrack). Recovery procedures will also vary according to whether the lost file contains active rollback segments, or if you've lost an *unarchived* redo log. There are also some more unusual cases, such as the loss of a file containing a *partition* of data, or a crash that happens when one or more tablespaces are in backup mode. I could go on ... in short, you've got an ambitious project on your hands!

By the way, I am also an amateur astronomer. I own two JMI NGT telescopes (the 6 and the 12.5) and the Orion XT-6. It's a fun hobby for our whole family (when the skies are clear, at least...).

--
Cheers,
Chris

Chris Leonard, The Database Guy