Re: Oracle ODBC drivers Thread-Safe?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:57:50 +0100

"Reinhard Brandstaedter" <reinhard.brandstaedter_at_ams-engineering.com> wrote in message news:c6lh1u$1k3d$1_at_ulysses.news.tiscali.de...
> Hi!
>
> Referring to the Oracle online documentation the oracle ODBC drivers are
> announced as thread-safe. One of our software vendors claims they are
> not and that there are some problems. Since his product mainly is based
> on Microsoft Technology (Exchange Server) he recommends using MS SQL as
> database.
> We are using Oracle 9i (and soon 10g) and I'm planning to use the
> original Oracle ODBC drivers to connect to our databases.
> Are there any concerns about thread safety I should worry about?
> I just want opinions since I don't want to introduce another DBMS just
> for this new application. Any experiences with thread safety and ODBC
> drivers?

None whatsoever, I have tried to get support out of vendors in the past when running with ODBC drivers that they have listed as unsupported. If you get any problem whatsoever they are quite likely, unless you manage to get them to agree that you have a supported configuration, to blame the db or the odbc drivers.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA