Re: Oracle and Forms - A history lesson please

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:26:40 +0200

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:55:25 +0100, "Alfie" <not_at_home.com> wrote:

>I am just taking a look at Oracle Developer/forms after being away for a
>long time - I can't remember the last Forms version I've used in anger- 2 or
>3 I think. I am very rusty!

There has been 2.0,2.3 and 3.0. 3.0 dropped the exemacro case and was introducing PL/SQL

>Anyway, I've just installed 10g and got developer working and I see
>everything seems to be "client/server" based.

Incorrect. Oracle dropped client/server with Developer 6.0

>I've built and run a simple form which runs itself in an IE browser.
>
>My question is, is this the only way Forms works now?
It is.

 For instance, can you
>compile a form into an executable and run it directly against the database
>in a similar way as you might build say, a C++ graphical application with
>ODBC calls?

You can't
According to Oracle client/server is dead. However you still can run without Oracle 9iAS when you have Apache.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA