Re: How configure Oracle 9i not case sensitive...

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:16:39 +0100

Eloy,

> Hi, i would configure Oracle 9i not case sensitive and in the table names
> dont use ""...
>
> How can i do this ?
>
> Thanks in advance

By Default Oracle uses Upper case for object names.

This can be overridden with double quotes. You can get away with almost anything using them. Below are two examples from our test database:

create table dbhell."from"
("where" varchar(1));

insert into dbhell."from"
values
('a');

create table dbhell." a b c"
(" " varchar(1));

insert into dbhell." a b c"
values
('a');

The only practical use I can think of for this (other than driving purists totally insane) is if you have to port an access database to oracle - AFAIK spaces in table names are possible in access. Of course the smart thing to do would be to get rid of them but that could depend on how long your contract was and whether you had anything to do at the end of it :)

David Rolfe,
Orinda Software,
Dublin Ireland

PS - Did you know that 'Eloy' is a town in Arizona that's famous for Skydiving?

Orinda Software Make OrindaBuild, A Java Jdbc Access Code Generator For Oracle

www.orindasoft.com Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 08:16:39 CDT