Re: Oracle client for DOS

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:08:24 +1000

Igor Shulgin wrote:
> Hi, Daniel!
>
> No, I *really* mean "Microsoft DOS version 6.20". Unfortunately, we must use
> MS DOS in our distant departments' computers.
> I doubt that sqlplus.exe from $ORACLE_HOME/bin in Windows version would work
> in clear MS DOS environment.

Just out of interest, why is it that these clients must use a 10-year old operating system? I'm intrigued!

To answer your question, although I'm really just repeating what Daniel's said: you're not going to find a true DOS client any time soon. Your best bet, I think, would be to approach Oracle directly and ask them if they've got anything in the archives. But I don't rate your chances even so.

Any client that you get truly for DOS is also going to have a hell of a time connecting to an Oracle 9i database. Oracle 9i clients don't connect to Oracle 7 databases because of changes in the SQL Net layers... so I assume Oracle 7 clients don't readily connect to Oracle 9i databases either. Anything that is truly a DOS client is itself going to be from at least the Oracle 7 or earlier vintage, and is therefore most unlikely to be able to talk to 9i databases. I suppose, on the other hand, that miracles do happen.

Which brings me back to wondering why you are so constrained in your choice of client.

If it's because the machines are so ancient, I'd be looking at crowbar-ing some sort of Linux onto them and running a more modern client in an X GUI. Actually, I'd be looking at making a donation to the local museum and buying something a bit more realistic, but the linux approach might at least be feasible.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 03:08:24 CDT