Re: Bad query from Access stopped working

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:56:54 -0700

Randy Harris wrote:

> I have an application that uses MS Access 2000 for a front end to an Oracle
> 8.1.7.4 db. All of a sudden several pass-thru queries have stopped working.
> They are of the form:
>
> SELECT .... FROM ....
> WHERE WeekID BETWEEN '282' AND '287' ;
>
> WeekID is a numeric field so the values should not have been quoted. The
> queries work if the quotes are removed.
>
> What puzzles me, is how they had been working right along with the quotes.
> Was Oracle automagically doing the conversion to numeric? Nothing that I
> can identify has changed, either on the Oracle end or the Access end. Why
> would it stop working all of a sudden? Any insight into what might have
> caused this change in behavior would be appreciated.

Depending on implicit data conversion is something Oracle has warned against for a long long time. Just stop being lazy and use the correct data types.

As to why it stopped working? Maybe someone applied a patch to the system or upgraded to a more recent version.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu