Bad query from Access stopped working

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 04:22:37 GMT

I have an application that uses MS Access 2000 for a front end to an Oracle 8.1.7.4 db. All of a sudden several pass-thru queries have stopped working. They are of the form:

SELECT .... FROM ....
WHERE WeekID BETWEEN '282' AND '287' ;

WeekID is a numeric field so the values should not have been quoted. The queries work if the quotes are removed.

What puzzles me, is how they had been working right along with the quotes. Was Oracle automagically doing the conversion to numeric? Nothing that I can identify has changed, either on the Oracle end or the Access end. Why would it stop working all of a sudden? Any insight into what might have caused this change in behavior would be appreciated. Received on Wed Apr 14 2004 - 23:22:37 CDT