Re: Multi row blocks

From: Julesm <julesm_at_ip242yh.plus.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:38:25 +0100

Hi again,

I ran that by our forms man, and got the following? Is he right do we think?

Jules,

Thanks for this, but as ever, these people are saying yes it can be done using Oracle Forms or a Java grid. This seams to be a favourite response, but noone is ever prepared or able to point us at something that proves it!

The first problem is where to get a java grid that will do what we want and of course the problems that will inevitably follow implementing a grid, such as bugs in the grid, Oracle and the Grid supplier blaming each other for any problems, etc. etc.

The other problem (and this will apply to both the grid and the non-base table MRB) is going to be performance. It's all well to develop these things on a small database on what is a reasonable sized application server with just a couple of developers connected over a 100MB network, but what happens when the application is supporting 100's of users some over not much more than a 64K link? Very often, the developer solution is just to bung more hardware at the problem (Microsoft!) but may not be possible here, and can never be the correct solution.

I would take anything that you're told here with a large pinch of salt. On your other question (re: performance) the reply suggested that we remove triggers from the form but we (STL) know that it is a bug in the Application server, Oracle know it's a bug in the application server, but it appears that the chap that replied does not!

I hope to look into whether good, simple code can be written to provide the functionality required (or palm the search off onto someone else!). While my gut reaction is no, I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Regards
Dave. Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 09:38:25 CDT