Re: travel time policy? corporate and consultants

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:52:47 -0700

JES wrote:

> Our consulting company charges about 1/2 of our billing rate for travel
> outside of normal business hours. Travel inside of normal business hours is
> charged at full rate. My experience has been that most clients do not like
> the outside of business hours travel time, and alot of them do not like the
> inside of business hours full rate. They think travel inside business hours
> should be billed at 1/2 rate or not at all...

What customers of consulting firms need to realize is that they MUST pay for the travel and the time. If a firm isn't honest enough to state what they are paying for ... then it is figured into the bill rate. But there is no way the consultant, or his/her firm, is going to each the time.

This isn't a matter of whether they pay ... but whether they are willing to state the cost up front.

Heck ... add $150/hr. to my bill rate and I'll pay the customer for my travel time. ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu