Re: newbie to oracle

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:29:04 -0500

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote:

>Davide Sanna wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I installed Oracle 9i trial version for WinNT.
>
>Actually you installed the production version of the database. Oracle does
>not have trial versions.
>
>> I created an user just to try to create and manage some tables.
>>
>> I gave this user DBA privileges.
>>
>> I've seen that USER tablespace is assigned by default, and this is ok.
>> Why can I see tables only in schemas, and not in tablespaces ?
>>
>> Should I have to create some schema ?
>> How can I use a schema associated with USERS tablespace ?

Tablespaces are just a method of organizing and determining where data is stored... It can be specified when creating objects and is not actually accessed directly.

As far as 'seeing' stuff, everything is in some schema, so, depending on your rights, you can view objects by 'owner', which is how Oracle refers to a schema..

>For your purposes now, a schema is simply the dictionary owned by a userid.
>Creating anything such as a table or view will 'create a schema'. The
>resource restrictions, such as default tablespace or quota, are attached to
>the user managing/owning the schema.

Actually, it will create an object in that user's schema, not a new schema.

>I strongly encourage you to read the concepts manual. It's available at
>http://docs.oracle.com This an da LOT more is explained. After reading
>that the Database Administration Guide (which should be your second
>reference book) will make sense.
>
>/Hans

Best advice anyone can give...This is not an easy to 'learn as you go' product --- Received on Tue Apr 06 2004 - 15:29:04 CDT