Re: Check user roles in trigger?

From: Dr Drudge <drdrudge_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Apr 2004 11:35:18 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<b7ul601ctcvvso4hokoth3i301hq0adou8_at_4ax.com>...
> On 31 Mar 2004 07:13:42 -0800, drdrudge_at_hotmail.com (Dr Drudge) wrote:
>
> >I have a requirement to check a user's role before allowing update of
> >a column. Briefly, some roles are always permitted to update, others
> >are permitted only if the "OLD" value is NULL.
>
> This simply means the privileges granted to the role are incorrect,
> otherwise you wouldn't have need to check.
> You should cure the problem, not work around it.

OK, so what would the correct privs be?
How can I assign rights to update-only-if-null (see above)?

I cannot change the third party app to cure the problem, that is why I'm trying to enforce these business rules in this manner. Work around or not, the people that pay me want it to work a certain way with the tools/environment/app/lousy-3rd-party-support we have.

thanks Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 13:35:18 CST