Re: temp table

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:38:06 GMT

Cupofjava1961 wrote:

> Can someone tell me why the global keyword is used when creating
> a temporary table?
>
> such as in:
>
> create global temporary table my_temp_tab
> as select * from my_tab ;
>
> Thanks

Just guessing - from the SQL Reference manual:

"Specify GLOBAL TEMPORARY to indicate that the table is temporary and that its definition is visible to all sessions. The data in a temporary table is visible only to the session that inserts the data into the table."

Note the "that its definition is visible to all sessions" which sort of implies there there might have been [plans for] a temporary table which could have a definition visible only to the individual session.

/Hans Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 12:38:06 CST