Re: Need advice on web host

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 1 Apr 2004 08:48:43 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1080617160.871395_at_yasure>...
> Teresa Redmond wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > My latest quest is to find a web host that runs Oracle as the back end
> > database. I have Googled, and Asked Jeeves, and I would like your
> > input also. I need the host to be able to provide security that the
> > US Navy would find acceptable (if possible, I don't expect to actually
> > find anything I can use) and that would allow myself and one other
> > developer access to the database via Developer and Enterprise Manager
> > (foremost on our list), as well as the various people who would be
> > connecting to the database via Forms/Reports that we have already.
> > Not sure if we definitely need web space, just a static IP and the
> > database + storage, at least at first. Eventual goal is to web
> > enable, but I'm not sure of how that's gonna go at this point.
> >
> > This is pretty much a useless search, because we are trying to explain
> > why the customer needs Oracle vice an online document repository.
> > Since Oracle generates the documents via the Forms and Reports that
> > our company has developed, and the online repository just holds
> > uploads of the documents, we've got that part of the issue under
> > control. But we also have to provide information on other options,
> > such as hosting with a commercial vendor. Unfortunately, the
> > information I've found has been pretty lightweight, and mostly aimed
> > at your average Joe who wants his/her own website.

Companies like mine are harder to find. We actually keep a very low profile, relying more on personal comtact than getting business from our web site (which is a basic cybershingle).

> > I appreciate any pointers you guys can give me. :-)
>
> I don't believe you will find what you need for the simple reason that
> any organization hosting will have access to the data and thus
> compromise your security by definition.

My company does hosting using ORACLE or other databases as needed. Yes, we do have access to their data (Well at least the admins. do.) It certainly makes some support issues easier. We've had very good success in keeping out hackers. And in this case that has to be some level of trust (otherwise our clients would host the sites internally).

> The best choice is to find a company, and there are many, that will
> host your server. They provide the infrastructure, the pipe, and the
> backup generators. You provide the server, the Oracle software and
> any other tools you require. That way you, and only you, have the root
> and Oracle passwords.

And companies such as mine can do it this way too. But the other case is a strong point for a smaller company like mine. We can limit the number of folks having access your (the navy's) data to the bare minimum. We are located near Cleveland, Ohio, and currently have only US citizens as employees.

Yes this is a blantant act of self promotion, but she asked for examples. So while this skirts the line between here and the *.marketplace topics, I'll argue that the above is on-topic here since it's answering her question and providing specific support of Daniel's points.

And the .sig is not too extreme is it?
  Ed

Edward J. Prochak   --- Magic Interface, Ltd.
Ofc: 440-498-3700   --- 7295 Popham Place, Solon, OH 44139
on the web at       --- http://www.magicinterface.com
email: ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 10:48:43 CST