Beginner: am I out of my depth?

From: Duncan <duncan_newbury_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Apr 2004 08:43:39 -0800

I am a direct markting manager and I rely on the integrity of the customer contact data in our Oracle database. In order to ensure this integrity, I need to carry out mass updates, e.g. to update postcodes/zip codes. For the forseeable future my IT department doesn't have anyone availble to do this work for me, therefore I have suggested I do it myself by learning to use SQL*Plus. I have a good understanding of the fundamentals of relational databases and have used MS Access to an advanced level, including extracting information from the Oracle database using very complex queries, and then running the kind of queries on that extracted data that I would be running on the live tables. I am very confident that I can do this work safely as I know the database inside out, however they are understandably very reluctant to let me do this for danger of damaging the data. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I'm going about this the right way and, if so, any steps I could take to safeguard against potential problems?

N.B. I would only have access to update information in 2 tables, neither of which affect anything else in our system, also these tables are regularly backed up and it wouldn't be a major problem if we had to revert to a table a week or so old if something went wrong with the live version. Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 10:43:39 CST