Help with Conversion

From: Paulo Felice Maria Petri <pfmp_at_flav.it>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:47:21 -0500

Hello friends,

     We would like to convert our Oracle database to the free PostreSQL RDBMS. I would like to know the best way to export Oracle data so that I can load the data into PostgreSQL. Is there a text export in DDL statments emmbeded?

Background:

     We are nearing the end of a 2 year term license for Oracle Standard Edition and we would like to move to something more cost effectivive. We would also like to run our database on a machine with more than one processor. I think it cost too much for a Oracle 4 CPU license. Since PostgreSQL is free, I can run in on a 4-way or 8-way machine without having to pay much more money.

     Also PostgreSQL seems to be the most compatible OSS database. It has similar triggers, PLSQL, stored procedures like Oracle etc. I also liked the ability to write stored procedures in Perl and Python and TCL. Also unlike Oracle, PostgresSQL does not come with a big Java JVM bolted on. Also the .ORG domain

     We ruled out MYSQL since it was the least like Oracle.

The Karen Southwick article was very informative too. http://news.com.com/2010-1071-5072299.html

If PostgreSQL is good for .ORG registry then it is good enough for me: http://www.isoc.org/dotorg/10-1.shtml

"Sustaining the high-availability infrastructure that delivers this performance is one of the most advanced open source relational database systems, PostgreSQL. As detailed in our answer to Question 13, PostgreSQL already fully supports a 24x7, high-transaction, registry system:

  1. it has scaled with .INFO from zero to nearly one million domains via its large capacity and its concurrency capability (multi-version concurrency control);
  2. it provides all database functions required by .INFO (and .ORG);
  3. it delivers (as evidenced above) at our service level commitments or better;
  4. it benefits from broad usage (RedHat, BASF, and others) and support by a significant base of developers; and
  5. it provides high data portability and standards compliance, including native JDBC/ODBC support."

Thank you for your help. Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 23:47:21 CST