Re: telnet to listener

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:48:56 GMT

Rocky wrote:

> Anyone know what string I can send to an oracle DB while telnetted into
> it's listener to first connect then verify that it is alive?
> I would like to keep the string inexepensive as I will be sending it
> every couple of minutes. Thank you.
> Rocky

As others have indicated, your Oracle licenses include a product called Oracle Enterprise Manager.

When set up in a monitor environment (preferreably on a small DBA and/or SA dedicated machine) OEM has the capability of paging/emailing/both with destinations and addresses defined by time of day. It also has the ability to automatically attempt to restart listeners and databases.

I strongly encourage you to look at that to supplement your current monitor environment. I firmly believe that Oracle Enterprise Manager will be mandatory to monitor and administer Oracle environment in the near future - it's likely a good investment in time to get used to it now.

/Hans Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 16:48:56 CST