Re: telnet to listener

From: Rocky <PerlGuRu2b_at_bobotheclown.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:46:42 GMT

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:01:26 +0100, Pete Finnigan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You need to look at the tnsping utility, why do you need to check the
> listener is alive every few minutes?
>
> kind regards
>
> Pete

Actually I have a monitor (What's up Gold) which checks the listener every few minutes. This is how we fire off emails if the DB goes down. The problem that I have is this: the listener can stay up though the DB itself is down. The monitoring system has a feature which allows a telnet like session (actually an ascii socket connection) in which I can pass any string to the DB. I would like to do something like get the sysdate every 5 minutes or select a single record pre-placed by me. I just wondered if anyone knew the string to pass to gain access to the DB. I guess I could capture it using tcpdump or something. TNSPing will not cut it because it only checks the listener.
Thank you,
Rocky Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 13:46:42 CST