Re: shutdown normal not shutting down

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:57:09 -0600

"Dave Dudiek" <dd_at_dd.com> wrote:

>I have a problem shutting down an oracle database. The oracle version is
>8.1.7.2 running on a solaris 8 system. Basically I have tried shutting down
>the database with "shutdown normal" but it will not close as there are
>connections to the database. These connections are not active , the users
>have long since terminated their sessions leaving some old connections
>hanging around not doing anything.
>
>I have tried "connect internal", "shutdown immediate" but am unable to do
>this as "The Database is not available". I have also tried starting the
>database but this fails as a shutdown in progress. I would very much like
>to shut down the database cleanly.
>
>Is it safe to kill the users processes at operating system level and if I do
>so will this enable the database to close cleanly ? Otherwise is "shutdown
>abort" or "startup force" safe or will I be causing more problems.
>
>Generally speaking what is the best way to get oracle to close under these
>circumstances.
>
>I feel that this must be a fairly common problem and if I knew the first
>thing about oracle I should be able to sort it out but, you guessed it, I
>don't know the first thing about oracle.
>
>Regards
>
>Dave

Instead of trying 'shutdown normal' first use 'shutdown immediate'.. If you try that AFTER trying the normal one, you will get the error you describe, since Oracle is in 'shutdown' mode.

If all else fails, try:
Shutdown Abort
Startup Restricted
Shutdown normal Received on Tue Mar 30 2004 - 13:57:09 CST