Re: Need advice on web host

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:26:22 -0800

Teresa Redmond wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> My latest quest is to find a web host that runs Oracle as the back end
> database. I have Googled, and Asked Jeeves, and I would like your
> input also. I need the host to be able to provide security that the
> US Navy would find acceptable (if possible, I don't expect to actually
> find anything I can use) and that would allow myself and one other
> developer access to the database via Developer and Enterprise Manager
> (foremost on our list), as well as the various people who would be
> connecting to the database via Forms/Reports that we have already.
> Not sure if we definitely need web space, just a static IP and the
> database + storage, at least at first. Eventual goal is to web
> enable, but I'm not sure of how that's gonna go at this point.
>
> This is pretty much a useless search, because we are trying to explain
> why the customer needs Oracle vice an online document repository.
> Since Oracle generates the documents via the Forms and Reports that
> our company has developed, and the online repository just holds
> uploads of the documents, we've got that part of the issue under
> control. But we also have to provide information on other options,
> such as hosting with a commercial vendor. Unfortunately, the
> information I've found has been pretty lightweight, and mostly aimed
> at your average Joe who wants his/her own website.
>
> I appreciate any pointers you guys can give me. :-)

I don't believe you will find what you need for the simple reason that any organization hosting will have access to the data and thus compromise your security by definition.

The best choice is to find a company, and there are many, that will host your server. They provide the infrastructure, the pipe, and the backup generators. You provide the server, the Oracle software and any other tools you require. That way you, and only you, have the root and Oracle passwords.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu