Re: Oracle DBA query

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2004 16:08:51 -0800

prabalmys_at_hotmail.com (Prabal) wrote in message news:<3ce5b2d0.0403290835.9337f19_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> This message has to do with the job responsibilities and challenges
> faced by an Oracle DBA. I want to pursue for Oracle DBA certification.
> I have a BS degree in Computer Science and a working knowledge of C
> and C++ on Unix environment. I want to get certified and work as an
> Oracle DBA. It may sound weird considering my background. But has
> anyone done this? Is it worth going for certification? Are Oracle DBAs
> busy with their jobs all the time? I hear that these guys are the
> highest paid in the IT industry? Is it true? Can anyone highlight the
> challenges a DBA faces? How about job security? Are DBAs in the age
> group of 25-40? What after then? Will a Solaris certification benefit
> along with it? Too many queries.
>
> Bye
> Prabal

Besides what the other's said, go to
http://www.quest-pipelines.com/pipelines/dba/index.asp and look at the various appropriate fora.

I'd advise building on your programming expertise and work upwards from a PL/SQL programming job.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=801051&perpage=15&highlight=poison&pagenumber=1