Re: PL/SQL output formatting

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:08:05 GMT

Ubiquitous wrote:

> Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> : Mark C. Stock wrote:
>
> :> you're experiencing sql*plus being over-zealous in stripping leading blanks
> :> you will not see the same behavior in all other tools, for instance toad
> :> in sql*plus, i believe you'll need to use a leading non-space to prevent
> :> this behavior -- unless there's a setting that i've not yet run across ;-)
> :
> : This is causes by the word wrapping process in SQL*Plus. Switch to
> : standard wrapping and it will work fine ...
> :
> : set serveroutput on size 1000000 format wrapped
>
> I use DBMS_OUTPUT.enable(1000000) because it complains about SET SERVEROUTPUT
> when I invoke the PL/SQL script via a UNIX shell script. Is there an unlisted
> parameter to what I'm using?

No, the formatting is done on the SQL*Plus side so you'll have to change it there. However, there's no good reason it shouldn't work through a Unix shell script. I have tons of scripts that are run that way on Solaris, Linux and AIX using a variety of shells. If you'll post a small demonstration script and the exact error you're getting, maybe we can figure out what the problem is.

--
Richard Kuhler