Re: Oracle Certification

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:46:03 -0800

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>>Hans Forbrich wrote:
>>
>>In that respect you are correct. But in an honest comparison which is
>>MS Enterprise against Oracle SE or SE1 the prices are effectively
>>identical.

> But we are talking about business here. Can 'honest comparison' and
> 'business' really be fit in the same sentance? Dilbert had a piece on 'the
> honest sales guy' .... after a being honest all day, he'd take the day's
> losses out on his Gerbil.

As a theoretical possibility when the core of the earth freezes or as a practical matter? ;-)

>>Were I Oracle I would have named what is SE1 to SE, renamed SE to EE,
>>and come up with a new name for EE so that Microsoft comparisons of
>>their EE to Oracle's EE would make sense.

> That is about the best idea I've heard on this subject in several years.

And you didn't hear if from the people Larry pays millions of dollars to to make marketing decisions: Go figure.

> AND it would allow Oracle's marketing types to go through another renaming
> exercise.

Exactly. Which seems to be one of their internal key tasks. I'm still trying to figure out how JDeveloper made it one rev without a reorg.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu