Query Error -65536

From: Mark <google_at_dunn-online.us>
Date: 26 Mar 2004 13:20:03 -0800

I am experiencing an oracle query failure that is VERY puzzling. It seems to be semi-random, in that I can _USUALLY_ reproduce it with a given data set, but there's nothing in the dataset that I can see that is wrong. The query works FINE using a sqlplus interface; it only fails using imbedded oracle (via PROFOR) (yes, it's fortran).   Anyway, given an existing table, with various varchars, reals, dates, etc. I do a query like "select * from tf where location = 'XXX'. This query will FAIL with either an oracle error -1 or an oracle error -65535/6 (neither of which is very helpful). If I do the SAME query with "location = 'YYY'" things work fine, so I know the program is fundamentally ok.
  Here's the kicker. If I take the orginal, failing query and change it, to say "select * from tf where location = 'XXX' and table is not null", the query works and I get, say, 50 records back. If I then do "select * from tf where location = 'XXX' and table IS null;", it again works, and I get, say 25 records back. So somehow splitting up the query is clearing out the problem.

   Any ideas? I'm lost. My local Oracle experts are lost.. Received on Fri Mar 26 2004 - 15:20:03 CST