Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2004 04:19:03 -0800

Ron <fdf_at_dmb.no> wrote in message news:<1064ungbvq55jd0_at_news.supernews.com>...
> I found an interesting article by Karen Southwick about Oracle's
> supposed "murky" (in her own words) future. Can someone counter her
> arguments.
>
> http://news.com.com/2010-1071-5072299.html
>
> Should I select Oracle or should I go with
>
> PostgreSQL.com (free and in my opinion, extremely reliable), MYSQL, MS
> SQL Server or DB2?
>
> Thanks!

The article is full of value judgments, that would best to be appear in a true gossip magazine. As far as I am concerned the author didn't do anything to substantiate her claim other than putting down some slander.
The strange thing about this, you seem to consider the article as a sound basis to select a different database. I wouldn't make such a decision based on such an article. Nor would I trade in professional and mature software for a different database product simply because it is free. None of these products you mention come anywhere near the feature set of Oracle. But if you consider the low price as a feature, why don't you go ahead and 'buy' one of the toys you mention?

Sybrand Bakker
Senior OracleDBA Received on Thu Mar 25 2004 - 06:19:03 CST