Error of deadlock detected while trying to lock object (ora-04020)

From: cschang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:42:16 -0500

This is the first time I have such problem since this database was set up 5 years ago. My system is an 8.1.6 on NT 4 (w sp 6a) with one schema. What happened was this morning when I tried to reload the dump file
(resynchronize the database). The dump file was from itself. The message
came out when I tried to drop the schema owner as "drop user myowner cascade;" and the sys showed Error: ora-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock object <atable>". So I went on-line to search the solutions and tried several methods but none of them work. Here was what I tried.
1. from metalink to suggest to run the %oracle_home\rdbms\admin\utlrp.sql not working.
2. someone suggested dropping the object <atable>. Got the same error again. 3. So I rebooted the machine. Tried again to drop the <atable>, still the same error
4. Tried the stop the service and restarted, same error. 5. So I continue to reload the schema dump file and recompile every invalid object except this one and the related view, procedure, package
(obvious), then try to drop the object, still same error
Some said I need to drop the <atable> and recreate the <atable> with large INITRANS. But I could not do it because I can not drop the original table. (Besides, my current one is set at 10) While this problem occurred, no one is using the system not only it was 5 am but also this is a secondary system. It is only for the testing and emergency use. I have another database system (a production) with exact set up, but no problem. Because the explanation of the occurrence is due to multiple user tried to modify the same row of the table. However, there was no one at the moment. So I wonder anyone has a solution for such problem and to remove the deadlock. The only one I know is to wipe out the database and rebuild a new one.
At the time I drop the user, the system also return error: ora-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1.

Thank for any suggestion, your help is greatly appreciated.

C Chang Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 21:42:16 CST