Re: SQL Hints

From: Marek Babski <user72_at_go2.pl>
Date: 24 Mar 2004 12:12:30 -0800

> Have a look at:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/hintsref.htm#8326

Your link is realy use useful but I still don't understand how works methods which optimizer choose for execution - for example: SELECT accounts.balance, customers.last_name, customers.first_name

    FROM accounts, customers
    WHERE accounts.customer_id = customers.customer_id;

the optimizer chooses either (1) a nested loops operation, (2) a sort-merge operation, or (3) a hash operation to join these tables

How in short description works (1),(2),(3). Particulary I have no idea about differences between (1) and (3) ??? (but also (2) is not clear for me) Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 14:12:30 CST