Change Data Capture

From: P L Robert Danielsson-Oldberg <d9rd_at_dtek.chalmers.se>
Date: 24 Mar 2004 16:15:26 GMT

Hello.

OB_crosspost_excuse:

Excuse the crosspost, followups are directed to comp.databases.oracle.server alone. It seems to me the subject is both a server and a tools (misc?) matter.

I've been challenged by my employee to set up a datawarehouse with daily loading of update/inserted data. To build the warehouse I've utilized Oracle Warehouse builder and to catch changes to the production tables to bring to the warehouse I've set up Change Data Capture on the tables I need to watch.

Just the small task of integrating the two to a working warehouse left. :)

It seems there's no easy way to access the subscriber views with static names, so I have to drop and create new synonyms for them with PL/SQL every night. Anyone who've thought of something I haven't here?

Has anyone any experience with filtering out data from change tables with OWB? Getting only the 'I' and 'UN' fields from them will get me the data I need, but joining several change tables and using either update/insert or insert/update as the loading models is something I've newer tried.

Anyone with experince who can give me a hint? I'll continue labbing with it in the meantime :)

The only articles involving CDC I've seen have been a year or more old.

Jusung Yang, Yong Huang and (of course :) Thomas Kyte are the ones I've seen having answers for CDC newbies here, are you still around?

Sincerely,

                                                Robert Oldberg.

Please use the below adress, without the spam clause, to reply to me:

robert.oldberg@*NO_SPAM*novamedia-se.com OCP DBA, OWB uncertified greenhorne, CDC uncertain user

--
Robert    |GCS/S/MU d-- h--- s+:  g+- au+ a- w++ v-(++) C++++ U++++ S+ P- L 3
Danielsson|R+++ N+++ K- W--- M-- V- -po+ Y+ t+ !5 j- r+ tv- b+ D- B? e+++ u+++