Re: performance question

From: Douglas Hawthorne <douglashawthorne_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:06:58 GMT

"Alex" <alexyang_at_eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:1061q2como12p22_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a situation where any design or other suggestions are appreciated.
>
> I have more than half a million data files with 300K each. Each file is
one
> record with a binary data section of around 7K that I am interested in.
I'll
> need to do query on that particular binary data section in that huge table
> of data record, such as 'SELECT * FROM MyHugeTable WHERE
> ColumnName='MyBinaryColumn'. Are there suggestions (table design, query
and
> others) that may help to improve the performance?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Alex

Alex,

My gut reaction is that you will need to do some more data analysis because, at this stage, the logical table consists of two (2) columns: search key and the rest of the data. The main problem is that you will not be able to index COLUMNNAME because it has to a BLOB data type (or LONG) and these data types cannot be indexed. As the design stands now, you are left with full table scans. My suggestion is to dig deeper to see if you can break that column up into smaller chunks that extract more information, if that is possible.

What is in these binary files: audio, video? Can the 9i InterMedia Annotator help in classifying the data for you?

Douglas Hawthorne Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 08:06:58 CST