Re: PL/SQL output formatting

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:18:13 -0500

"Ubiquitous" <weberm_at_polaris.net> wrote in message news:c3pcln$olg$1_at_news.utelfla.com...
| I am attempting to produce a PL/SQL report that returns itemized line
| counts but am having difficulty in making the numbers line up right
| justified. I'd like it to look like this:
|
| 121 Records updated
| 74 AALF records updated
| 3 DICE records updated
| 44 TITLE records updated
| Update successfull!
|
| But I am getting this:
|
| 121 Records updated
| 74 AALF records updated
| 3 DICE records updated
| 44 TITLE records updated
| Update successfull!
|
| Apparently the leading spaces are being stripped and I'm not sure to to
| surpress it. If I display numeric data types it shows leading zeros and
| if I cast the values as character strings I get the above. Is there a
| way to "right justify" the numbers?

you're experiencing sql*plus being over-zealous in stripping leading blanks

you will not see the same behavior in all other tools, for instance toad

in sql*plus, i believe you'll need to use a leading non-space to prevent this behavior -- unless there's a setting that i've not yet run across ;-)

;-{ mcs Received on Tue Mar 23 2004 - 08:18:13 CST