Re: logon trigger - getting program version information of application connecting

From: <OracleSupport-dropthis_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:19:09 GMT

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:23:55 +0100, bennies <test_at_test.org> wrote:

>DJ wrote:
><cut>
>> whats the password got to do with dropping a session due to a version.
>
>Well. Don't get me wrong I once wrote a trigger to kill connections
>based on appication names. Worked like a charm.
>Questions is, would that be applicable this time.
>But if you upgrade and want to make sure your old application can't
>connect anymore, why not change the password ?
>Unless there is a reason why this need to stay unchanged ?
>
>Yeah you can kill the connection after the connection is establisched
>but why get to that point ?

Unfortunately if I upgrade a user's workstation and they have a valid (new) password / rights, they could just as easily use another machine that hadn't been upgraded. The 3rd party application's security module would validate the login and let them connect. There is no way for me to differentiate between versions for a valid user.

This scenario is more likely to happen out on a remote site where user's share machines, than in one of the main offices. It is also a concern where a single user has two machines (one workstation and one laptop). We may hit the workstation during the upgrade, but may miss the laptop.

I'm hoping I covered enough bases that a problem won't occur, but one needs to be vigilant. I had my team run enterprise wide checks over the last few weeks to see how many client machines had this particular application installed. I'll get them to keep running the checks to see how high a success rate we had in getting the client workstation upgraded. If I see the numbers really skewed, I'll have to decide whether I need to create an "valid workstation" table where the logon trigger will drop any connections not on the list.

Thanks for the help though.

Brad Received on Sun Mar 14 2004 - 18:19:09 CST