Re: Access to heterogeneous data sources - XML

From: Chuck Conover <cconover_at_commspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:20:48 -0700

Andrea,

    You might look at Sybase's replication tools (www.sybase.com/products/middleware/replicationserver). This tool sends changed data to/from each database, no matter the platform. I have never used this product myself, however, but it might do what you want it to do. If it is like the Sybase replication agent that ships with their database, you can customize which tables and which subsets of data get replicated between each server.

    Another possibility is using a MS SQL DTS package, if you can connect to all the other databases. However, this is only a possibility if your main database is MS SQL Server.

Hope this helps,
Chuck Conover
www.TechnicalVideos.net

"Andrea M. Segovia" <andrea_at_mun.ca> wrote in message news:7589088f.0403100500.4303c01d_at_posting.google.com... > "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message news:<1av3c.92957$PR3.1575500_at_attbi_s03>...
> > "Andrea M. Segovia" <andrea_at_mun.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hello, everyone:
> > >
> > > We have a Oracle 3 tier application (using Oracle iAs to a back-end
> > > Oracle database on an Tru64 UNIX server) which also incorporates
> > > custom written analysis and mapping tools for fisheries-related data.
> > >
> > > There is interest in broadening the scope of this application to also
> > > gather data from other data sources. The problem is that the other
> > > data sources are not Oracle databases (some are MS-SQL Server, others
> > > are MS-Access databases). Moving data to an Oracle format is not a
> > > possibility, as some of these data sources are out of our
> > > organization's control. To complicate matters even further, some of
> > > the data sources are not local (ie. in remote locations in either
> > > internal or external networks from one end of the country to another).
> > >
> > > Is XML a possibility for this? What XML functionality is available
> > > through Oracle, MS-SQL server? How would I do this using XML?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Andrea
> >
> > XML is basically a file format and that in and by itself isn't going to
help
> > you. Currently, it is a big buzz word. Concentrate on the business
problem
> > and what a solution to your problem would look like. This will help you
> > come up with solutions that would fit the problem. (instead of a hammer
and
> > everything is a nail.)
> >
> > You are basically talking about using an ETL tool. It is unlikely that
the
> > fishery data is stored in the same structures in all those different
> > databases. That is not the same table and table name with columns that
are
> > matching in data type and name. (and meanings) So for each data source
you
> > will need to know what the "transformation" is so you can read the data.
> > Major job. If the data sources are out of your control then it is
unlikely
> > you will be able to see them or connect to them.
> >
> > Your best bet is probably to treat your central system as a data
warehouse
> > and copy the data to your system periodically. How to do that? You
could
> > load a java SQLServer driver into Oracle and connect to all those
SQLServer