Re: logon trigger - getting program version information of application connecting

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:16:22 -0000

"bennies" <test_at_test.org> wrote in message news:405429f1$0$41748$5fc3050_at_dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
> How about changing the password they logon with.
> Or let me guess that's hardcoded in the application ;-)
>
> OracleSupport-dropthis_at_shaw.ca wrote:
> > Not sure if this is possible, but just in case...
> >
> > I have a logon trigger that I would like to modify to prevent users
> > from connecting to an Oracle schema if the version of software they
> > are using isn't current.
> >
> > Oracle 8.1.7.4.12 (client and server)
> > TCP/IP - net8
> > Windows 2000 (clients and server)
> >
> > I'm working with a 3rd party application that we are about to upgrade
> > (major release) and have over 500 client installs using this
> > application / database. I basically have no control over the
> > application to prevent version mismatches, but due to the number of
> > client installs, there's a potential for data problems because of
> > missed client upgrades. I've already confirmed an older version of the
> > client program can connect to the upgraded schema, and the software
> > vendor is less than helpful in providing reassurance that the data
> > will be protected (the "older versions aren't certified to run on the
> > upgraded schema, but why wouldn't you upgrade all the client machines"
> > type of response)
> >
> > Oracle receives the application executable name in v$session (hasn't
> > changed between versions), but I can't figure out how to get the
> > version (or timestamp) of the executable. Either of these would allow
> > me to drop the connection.
> >
> > So far I've come up blank on all the searches I've done.
> >
> > Any ideas? Can it be done? Any assistance appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brad

whats the password got to do with dropping a session due to a version.

Also I dont think it is possible since, if you block 8.0 sqlplus, I will trick it to make sure I get in anyway.

Wahst wrong with older clients anyway, as long as they connect and is a supported combination by oracle - whats the problem? Received on Sun Mar 14 2004 - 10:16:22 CST