Re: oracle on an stand-alone pc

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:58:40 -0800

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> So you DO have TCP/IP. And you have a physical adapter.

Just the card that connects me to my DSL modem to the internet.

> This thread-fibre started by you challenging my statement about loopback
> adapter. Your challenge: "Why? Of what value is the loopback? What is
> it going to teach someone they can't learn on a stand-alone?"

Maybe it is semantics but I'm was not aware that a PCMCIA card connected to a DSL modem was a loopback.

> Thus, I stand behind my statement "you should have at least the
> 'loopback' network subsystem in place".

I'm not sure that anything is required. The fact that my machine has the ability to connect to the web seems to me to be a part of having a browser and using it but I'm not convinced it is necessary. Perhaps it is but I haven't found that in anything I've read.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a90842/ch3.htm#1006381

Nowhere can I find reference to loopback or TCP/IP.

Either way ... if the OP could post to a usenet group ... the OP has whatever I have and nothing more should be required.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu