Re: oracle on an stand-alone pc

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:59:01 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>

>> Johan Geluyckens wrote:
>>
>>> is it possible to exercise with oracle on a stand-alone pc?
>>> Johan
>>>

>> Yes.  However, you should have at least the 'loopback' network
>> subsystem in place.
>> HTH/Hans

> Why? Of what value is the loopback? What is it going to teach someone
> they can't learn on a stand-alone?

Silly of me - I was thinking of the 9iAS install which needs the TCP/IP subsystem. (And, more recently, should have DNS to support FQDNs.)

Haven't tried it yet - can you use iSQLPLUS or any of the other OHS-based capabilities in standalone without the TCP subsystem?

> Anyway ... lifting the CPU over your head for 200 reps will be
> plenty of exercise methinks.

I've got a spare full-height tower here if anyone wants to try Daniel's exercise plan. I've found that the tower & the plan is incompatible with my middle-tier (or is that middle-tyre). I'm still struggling with 50 reps using a pair of light-weight clients.

/Hans Received on Fri Mar 12 2004 - 16:59:01 CST