Re: can't start dbsnmp or listener through remsh

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2004 00:41:39 -0800

melvin <murm_at_ansk.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94A7C3AAB8D88murmanskcom_at_167.206.3.3>...
> Hi All,
>
> Some background:
>
> As part of a process, we start the listener, oracle, and other oracle
> utilites through shell scripts remotely. We are using Oracle 8.1.6, hpux
> 11.0 and 11.i. The scripts have been working for several yeras, but since
> we patched (hpux) our operating systems, the scripts fail on the 11.0
> nodes, but still work on the 11.i nodes.
>
> Here is a sample of the script:
>
> #!/bin/ksh -x
>
> export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/bin/oracle
> export ORACLE_ADMIN=$ORACLE_BASE/admin
> # other export ORACLE_HOME here, removed here to be brief for news
>
> lsnrctl <<EOF
> dbsnmp_start
> exit
> EOF
>
> #
>
> if the script is called script.ksh, this is how it is invoked at the
> command line:
>
> % remsh pluto -l oracle -n /home/oracle/script.ksh
>
> The problem:
>
> the script executes, the dbsnmp starts, but the remsh hangs, you do not
> return back to the command line.
>
> If you run the same script through remsh, but the command is dbsnmp_stop,
> or dbsnmp_status, the dbsnmp commands execute, and you are successfully
> returned to the command line. We experience the same problem with starting
> the listener as well (the listener starts, but the remsh session does not
> exit).
>
> I've tried all different games with the here document, splitting commands,
> etc. It looks like the start works, but is somehow hung by the remsh. If
> you run it without the remsh (start, stop, or status), it works correctly.
> If you have any ideas, please let me know ! By the way, we did not relink
> oracle after patching the operating system.
>
> TIA,
> mel

ideas
- desupported version of Oracle, likely not even certified for 11.0 - Oracle sw not relinked after upgrading the O/S Please relink (and upgrade to a supported version) Also please do not cross- and multipost to every Oracle newsgroup you can spell. You are wasting bandwith and people's time.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 02:41:39 CST