can't start dbsnmp or listener through remsh

From: melvin <murm_at_ansk.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:13:27 GMT

Hi All,

Some background:

As part of a process, we start the listener, oracle, and other oracle utilites through shell scripts remotely. We are using Oracle 8.1.6, hpux 11.0 and 11.i. The scripts have been working for several yeras, but since we patched (hpux) our operating systems, the scripts fail on the 11.0 nodes, but still work on the 11.i nodes.

Here is a sample of the script:

#!/bin/ksh -x

export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/bin/oracle
export ORACLE_ADMIN=$ORACLE_BASE/admin
# other export ORACLE_HOME here, removed here to be brief for news

lsnrctl <<EOF
dbsnmp_start
exit
EOF
#

if the script is called script.ksh, this is how it is invoked at the command line:

 % remsh pluto -l oracle -n /home/oracle/script.ksh

The problem:

the script executes, the dbsnmp starts, but the remsh hangs, you do not return back to the command line.

If you run the same script through remsh, but the command is dbsnmp_stop, or dbsnmp_status, the dbsnmp commands execute, and you are successfully returned to the command line. We experience the same problem with starting the listener as well (the listener starts, but the remsh session does not exit).

I've tried all different games with the here document, splitting commands, etc. It looks like the start works, but is somehow hung by the remsh. If you run it without the remsh (start, stop, or status), it works correctly. If you have any ideas, please let me know ! By the way, we did not relink oracle after patching the operating system.

TIA,
mel Received on Tue Mar 09 2004 - 18:13:27 CST