Re: Junior Oracle DBA duties

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:07:09 -0500

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:404d9ea9$0$22392$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
| "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
| > Dave Anderson wrote:
| > > Greetings, i am a developer for a medium size business that is
| > > expanding. I really love what I am doing, however the company I work
| > > for has asked that I consider becomming a junior DBA and has offered
| > > paid training. Can someone please tell me what are the general duties
| > > of a junior Oracle DBA so that I can make an informed decision? What
| > > are the normal everyday tasks?
| >
| > You need to have your management define it for you. Forward looking
| > DBAs should be looking toward this as a minimum skill set
| >
| > 1. backup and recovery both traditional and with RMAN
| > 2. OEM
| > 3. Ability to read and understand ERD and UML
| > 4. Ability to read and understand SQL, PL/SQL, Java, XML
| > 5. Thorough understanding of Oracle concepts and architecture
| > 6. Ability to debug and tune any front-end or back-end code
| > 7. Thorough understanding of the Oracle security model and tools
| > 8. Thorough understanding of v$ views
| >
| > Don't worry much about init.ora parameters ... almost all of them
| > are going away forever.
|
| great advice. I agree with the sentiment expressed in the last line but
not
| necessarily for the reason Dan gives
|
| on 817
| SQL> select count(*) from v$parameter;
|
| COUNT(*)
| ----------
| 202
|
| on 9204
| SQL> select count(*) from v$parameter;
|
| COUNT(*)
| ----------
| 257
|
| care to try 10g anyone.
|

| --
| Niall Litchfield
| Oracle DBA
| Audit Commission UK

and i would have to agree with all except the last statement, for some very significant reasons
[_] wrongly set init.ora parameters are often the cause of performance (or non-performance) problems
[_] no matter how wonderful 10g is, we will still be encountering 8i, 9i, and even v7 and v8 databases for quite awhile [_] no matter how wonderful 10g is, i am not willing to 'just trust oracle' -- i want to know what my options are [_] as the init.ora file disappears, the concept of system parameters doesn't, just the way they are managed

;-{ mcs Received on Tue Mar 09 2004 - 08:07:09 CST