Problem with XMLType.extract(...).getclobval()

From: philippe <philia17_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2004 09:14:35 -0800

Hi all,

I have a strange error while requesting an XMLType column from my Oracle 9.2 database with PL/SQL Developer 5.1.4 (OCI 8.1). My XMLType column is named std_structure. When I want to extract a part of the column content, with the request "select extract(t.std_structure,'//controls').getclobval()from study_version t",I get an "ORA-03114: not connected to Oracle" error if the result is very large (in my example, about 150000 characters). It works for a smaller CLOB.
When I try the request "select
length(extract(t.std_structure,'//controls').getclobval()) from study_version t", I get the length of my CLOB. I thought it was because of the size of the clob, but when I want to get all the column XML data, it works. "select t.std_structure.getclobval() from study_version t" gives me a larger CLOB (more than 230000 characters).

So, what am I doing wrong?! Is there a known bug in OCI 8.1 driver or in PL/SQL Developer?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Philippe. Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 11:14:35 CST