Re: pro*C compiler for Oracle

From: Harald Maier <harald_at_maierh.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:42:47 +0100

Pete Finnigan <plsql_at_petefinnigan.com> writes:

>>On a slightly related subject. Anyone have a recommendation for a
>>compiler and linker for C on W2K that is shareware and could be
>>used by my students for native compilation?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I think I can help. gcc is available for Windows also, there is a
> package called MingW that allows you to write windows C without using
> any third party DLL's. Take a look at http://www.wemakeitfast.com/fastCM
> S/pages/altvcc.php - This page describes two options of gcc on windows
> and also a development IDE and also a windowing class library in the
> same vein as MFC. They are all GPL and LGPL but read the licenses
> anyway. There are links to download all of the software from this site.I
> have used DEVC++ which uses mingW as its compiler successfully for OCI
> on windows XP - its quite good. Also if you want to spend a little money
> the VC++ student/learning edition and BCB standard editions are not
> massively expensive. I have used both to compile Oracle code before.
>
> hope this helps a bit.

One minor remark. Currently I am able to produce programs with cygwin gcc and the Oracle Client for Windows 9.2.0.1 that are using the oci.dll (see too DBD-Oracle for perl) but I have not luck with proc and if the programs are linked with the ORASQL9.DLL. Maybe others are able to do this. Here the error if I start the program inside gdb:

GNU gdb 2003-09-20-cvs (cygwin-special)
Copyright 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc. GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details. This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"... (gdb) r
Starting program: /f/home/maierh/cc/proc/test.exe

      9 [main] ? 1864 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win3 2 error 487
f:\home\maierh\cc\proc\test.exe (1864): *** AllocationBase 0xA70000, BaseAddress  0xD60000, RegionSize 0x10000, State 0x2000

Harald Received on Sun Mar 07 2004 - 04:42:47 CST