Re: installing and running oracle 9 across 2 machines

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 09:03:35 GMT

a_fish wrote:
> Hello !

> I want to install Oracle database on my Laptop machine.
> What's the best method for install and load Oracle with
> this combination? I want basically the (Big memory) to
> handle loading the software from the (Big Disk).
> Any suggestions or solution is very much welcome.

I truly believe there is no 'best method' of achieving an operational Oracle in your environment.

If you really must attempt this, create an ORACLE_BASE directory on big memory, slice off a 1.5 GB segment of big disk for the base Oracle software and mount that as ORACLE_HOME under ORACLE_BASE, then slice off another 2 GB as your database disk and mount that as ORACLE_BASE/oradata . I will assume your are comfortable enough with various operating systems that you can SAMBA the pieces together.

I would not want to be any where near when you start screaming about the various failures due to dropped packets and various performance issues.   The environment will be unstable and will likely end up with disk/data corruptions at some point ... great for learning backup/recovery but little else IMO.

/Hans Received on Sun Mar 07 2004 - 03:03:35 CST