Re: Killing an user from the user

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:29:49 -0500

Yong Feei Shun wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am having a question here. hope you guys could help. Whenever
> i kill a user, i cant kill the oracle statement there, eventhough the user
> had been killed. What should be the problem? Does this mean that at the
> background that session still running? I encountered system slow down
> problem recently and cause me to kill the user whoever using the sesssion.
> Please help. Thanks
>

> Rgrds
> Feei Shun

If you are on a UNIX system I hope you didn't use kill -9

Please try using other signals first. I usually try, in order, -1, -2, -3, -4, -15, and only then do I use -9 the other signals give the programs a chance to clean up after themselves.

And keep in mind a simple guideline: even when the session is gently stopped, I found it can take almost as much time for ORACLE to rollback the work as it did to start with. IOW your SQL query ran for 3 hours without showing results and slowing the system down in the meantime. If you kill it, don't be surprised if the system remains slow for an equivalent amount of time (an hour or more). While tearing down a connection seems like less work, there is real work that must be down to free the resources used.

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/