Re: SPAM DB 1.6.0 has been released - now OT if not originally

From: Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>
Date: 04 Mar 2004 19:16:58 +0000

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

>The definition of pornography is in the eye of the beholder and
>perhaps the definition of spam is the same. You are not offended by
>postings of such message and I, and apparently many other regulars,
>are.

You are right - others in this group support your position but I don't think anyone else supports mine. The majority feeling in a group must take precedent over what the charter says, so even though messages about PEAR DB or similar free software are technically within the charter (since they are Oracle-related and not commercial) I accept that they're not welcome.

This thread started when I saw your original response to the PEAR DB announcement and thought that either you were singlehandedly trying to enforce your own policy that wasn't what the charter says, or that you had mistakenly thought the message was spam when in fact it was not. I now see that others on this group support your position and that you do consider such articles spam even if they are not commercial advertising.

--
Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>