Re: Chained Rows

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:06:14 -0800

Dr Drudge wrote:

> Isn't the explanation of PCTFREE wrong on that PSOUG page?

I sure hope not ... it was copied directly from otn.oracle.com.

> It states:
>
> "Tables on which there are no updates should have PCTFREE set to 0.

PCTFREE of 0 means the block is never removed from the list of free blocks until it is completely filled. If there will never be any updates there is no reason to leave empty space in the block.

One removes a block prior to being filled so that there is room, within the block, for additional information added to the rows by an update.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu