ODBC problems

From: neptune <bsimmons1482_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2004 12:55:06 -0800

I currently link a table to an Oracle db. Anytime I open a query based off it, I have to input username & password. Is there a way to do this automatically?

I'd prefer to use linked tables, but I've read a pass-through query can pass the passwords automatically. The directions seem straightforward, but I can't get one to work. The select query from the ODBC linked table looks like:

SELECT OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.SALESMAN, OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.NAME,

OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.INITIALS, OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.TERRITORY,
OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANTYPE, OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.SALESFORCE,
OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRSM, OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRVP,
OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.LOCATION, OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.CUSTOMER,
OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN.TRANSMITTINGLOCATION

FROM OSCAR_TBLSALESMAN; When I convert it to a pass-through I get the error message:

ODBC – call failed.
[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-00911:invalid character (#911)

I know the underscore is invalid for Oracle so I replaced it with a period

SELECT OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.SALESMAN, OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.NAME,

OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.INITIALS, OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.TERRITORY,
OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANTYPE, OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.SALESFORCE,
OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRSM, OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRVP,
OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.LOCATION, OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.CUSTOMER,
OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN.TRANSMITTINGLOCATION

FROM OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN; I get the same error message, so I tried taking out the Oscar section

SELECT TBLSALESMAN.SALESMAN, TBLSALESMAN.NAME, TBLSALESMAN.INITIALS,

TBLSALESMAN.TERRITORY, TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANTYPE,
TBLSALESMAN.SALESFORCE, TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRSM,
TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRVP, TBLSALESMAN.LOCATION, TBLSALESMAN.CUSTOMER,
TBLSALESMAN.TRANSMITTINGLOCATION

FROM OSCAR.TBLSALESMAN; And

SELECT TBLSALESMAN.SALESMAN, TBLSALESMAN.NAME, TBLSALESMAN.INITIALS,

TBLSALESMAN.TERRITORY, TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANTYPE,
TBLSALESMAN.SALESFORCE, TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRSM,
TBLSALESMAN.SALESMANRVP, TBLSALESMAN.LOCATION, TBLSALESMAN.CUSTOMER,
TBLSALESMAN.TRANSMITTINGLOCATION

FROM TBLSALESMAN; Then I tried removing the tablename portion:

SELECT SALESMAN, NAME, INITIALS, TERRITORY, SALESMANTYPE, SALESFORCE, SALESMANRSM, SALESMANRVP, LOCATION, CUSTOMER, TRANSMITTINGLOCATION FROM TBLSALESMAN; Any help?
Thanks Received on Mon Mar 01 2004 - 14:55:06 CST