Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:39:28 -0800

Ed Avis wrote:

> sybrandb_at_yahoo.com writes:
>

>>What I consider spam is every 'free download' which's ultimate
>>purpose is to attract you to a commercial site.

> I expect most people will agree on this. The issue is whether to
> put every project announcement (even those which are unequivocally
> free software and free of charge) in that category, and to ban them
> all just because of the bad behaviour of a few.

I am the education chair for a 501C3 state licensed non-profit Oracle user group. I post every announcement of its activities at c.d.o.marketplace. I don't consider this a hardship.

Those that want to know what is going on regularly check everything in c.d.o.marketplace. Those that don't want to don't have to.

If someone is promoting something, even a free seminar offered by a non-profit, they should respect the groups enough to realize that those asking for help with server, tool, or other issues, doesn't necessarily want to read their promotional piece.

Look at the huge amount of rationalizing some of the PR types go through to justify what they do. If the lines are not drawn cleanly they will be more than happy to take advantage of any ambiguity and then c.d.o.___ becomes nothing but a forum for every salesperson with a dollar to make.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu