Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 11:56:38 -0800

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<uwu69g7c4.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>
> > All SPAM is bad spam. I don't care if you are giving it away
> > for free. I don't care if you personally show up, install it,
> > configure it train on it, and then give me a check for $50: It
> > is still spam.
>
> I'm on the fence on this one. What is different from what this
> guy posted and what Jonathan Lewis posts every month?

Let's see,
Jonathan posted only in one group at a time (I did not find any multiposts.)
His Ads were ORACLE related and posted in ORACLE groups

This guy posted in multiple discussion groups, none related to his product announcement.
None of the groups were .announce, .forsale or .marketplace.

> Sure, Jonathan is a great contributor, and well respected, but he
> is "advertising" a site. Is it so different, or is every
> posting's "Spam rating" to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis.
> I would never call Jonathan's postings spam, but I also have a
> hard time truly distinquishing that from the original posting in
> this thread.

Now I think we did discuss Jonathan's posts and the preferred place for them is still the marketplace group. But his posts in the other ORACLE groups have been tolerated since he does CONTRIBUTE to those groups. Has the OP,
Analysis&Solutions (info_at_analysisandsolutions.com) contributed anything here?

Well a google search in c.d.oracle.* shows only 4 posts by that email, one is the original PEAR advert, the other three were all Questions about date formatting. So I conclude that he contributes NOTHING to comp.databases.oracle.*

What he contributes to open source movement is a separate issue.

And I think I am consistent here. I would chatise the Pope if he posted his newest Encyclical in the oracle group, because it would be off topic, even if the tile of the encyclical was something like "St. John: ORACLE of the New testament".

> About a year ago, I had embarked on building an open source Oracle
> extension to Emacs to allow for dynamic query building within
> Emacs by interacting with metadata from Oracle. I never finished
> it, but had I actually published it to the Open source community,
> I certainly would have let people in this group know. Would I
> have been chastised for that?

Galen, you are also well respected in these groups. But I think you answered your own question. It would have been an ORACLE related product. Judging from you past posts, I would expect that, even if you posted an advert in all the oracle groups, you would NOT post it in c.d.db2 or c.d.postgresql
I think you are too intelligent to do that.

So the view I follow can be summarized as

     newsgroups are not anything-goes chat rooms.
     newsgroups have individual cultures
     newsgroups ar TOPIC related, so not all messages are welcomed

hth,

   ed Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 13:56:38 CST