Re: MARKED FOR POOP Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released - now OT if not originally

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 11:21:16 -0800

"SkidMark" <pooppatrol_at_internetpoop.org> wrote in message news:<Pbc%b.10231$n55.1554_at_fe22.usenetserver.com>... []
> Incidentally, PEAR is not written by a commercial entity,
> and is not a commercial business or enterprise or vendor as
> you had erroneously stated. PEAR is a contribution from the
> Open Source community to the PHP developer community. PHP
> connects to many databases, as well as being one of the most
> popular programming environments available, and is completely
> free of charge to anyone that wants to use it.

Interesting but irrelenvant.

> ... Announcements
> about PEAR and PHP are not SPAM.

In a sense, you are correct. The original comment should have been that the announcement of the PEAR DB in comp.database.oracle.misc and c.d.o.server is OFF TOPIC. Of the 4 ORACLE groups it might belong in c.d.o.marketplace.

Then again, announcement of the PEAR DB might even be off topic in c.d.o.marketplace, since it is NOT and ORACLE related product or service. (Announcing PHP there would work, given that PHP connects to ORACLE and other DBMS products.)

However, in general, SPAM refers to posting commercial announcements across multiple DISCUSSION groups (as opposed to forsale groups).

 The announcement belonged in comp.databases only, with perhaps cross postings in APPROPRIATE open source groups (there might be one that fits.)

Perhaps, Skid, you should stop sleeping on the interstate. You even got this thread wrong. Meta discussions (talking about What is on topic) are always ON TOPIC.

So take your meds, calm down, and breath. It will all be better in the morning.

  HTH,
  ed

PS, my apologies to the other cross posted groups, but I wanted to have some chance of Skid actually reading this reply. Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 13:21:16 CST