Re: User-defined RECORD aliases

From: Ubiquitous <weberm_at_polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:48:02 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote: : Ubiquitous wrote:

:> This might be a silly question but can one assign aliases to the rows
:> of a user-defined record that is based on an existing table using ROWTYPE?
:> I am asking because the table upon which it based has long names which
:> are causing "name too long" type errors when I try to access them.
:>
:> Example:
:> closeout_detail_rec closeout_detail%ROWTYPE
:>
:> [ later..]
:>
:> IF closeout_detail_rec.fee_amount_charged > 100.00 THEN
:>
:> [causes a "variable name is too long" ORACLE error ]

: Why not just do this?
: co_det_rec closeout_detail%ROWTYPE;

Naming standards, mostly.
I could end up doing just what you suggested but I'd rather not use a non-standard name and change all instances of the variable name if I can help it. I'll probably have to make an exception in this case, however. Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 12:48:02 CST